Most people aren't aware so I will let you know that even though MKV is not a supported codec for the PS3 you can still play them on you system. Here's how it works.
"Ok, so I'm constantly seeing forum posts all over the place where people are asking if they can play MKV files on their PS3 to be answered by "No". While this is not wrong, it's also not true, you can play MKV files on your PS3 and I will show you how to do this in this guide.
What you will need:
- An MKV file
- MKVtoVOB ---> (Found Here) http://www.videohelp.com/tools/mkv2vob
- A PS3 (duh!)
What MKV2VOB does is remux an MKV file with x264 video and AC3 audio into a VOB file which is playable on your Playstation 3. Before you ask...no, this will not result in the loss of quality because the audio or video are not touched. The streams are split and mixed into the VOB (I set mine to AVI as it is more easily transferred through the wireless modem on my system) file.
So you've got your MKV file now and you are ready to start remixing it:
- First, you have to open MKV2VOB and select the file which you would like to work on and then select where you would like to save the finished file. When you have done this, click "Save".
- You will then have a dialog box pop up that asks if you want to enable automatic MPEG2 transcoding. It is recommended that you click "Yes".
- Another box will then pop up when you start the whole process. Do not close this box. Wait for it to complete what it is doing.
- When that box has closed, another box will open. Again, do not close or mess with this box. Wait for it to complete what it is doing.
- When that box has finished doing what it is doing, yet another box will open. Leave this alone and do not close it.
- When that box has closed the task is complete and you should be presented with a "Remuxing Complete" box.
You're probably thinking "Oh no, but my Playstation 3 can't store/play files with a size this large"..well, for some reason..it can!
I hope this guide is somewhat helpful for those who are not sure about how to play MKV files on their PS3.
If you are having any troubles or have any questions...give me a comment."
-Originally posted by Griffo on hubpages.com
The latest version of MKVtoVOB is much more simplified. Just make sure that if you are using Vista to match the program compatibility with XP Service Pack 2 and if you are using Windows 7 to set it to XP Service Pack 3.
You can adjust the configuration settings in the program to allow file size in accordance with an external hard drive using the fat32 system or just let the program mux the file and copy it to your PS3 via the net or burn to a DVD-RW and then copy to your HD.
I, myself, have been using this program for a while now and have amassed a rather large collection of MKV quality files (BluRay, HD, etc), burned them to a DVD or DL-DVD and saved them in my library. The files will be muxed as to tell your computor and PS3 that they are now, AVI, MP$, or MPEG based on your personal prefference. They are still playable on your computer only now, if you own an HD TV and a PS3 you can watch your MKV as if it were a BluRay.
If you have any questions, feel free to ask and I will try to respond in any way that will help you. Have fun kiddies and remember to always be the best it is at what you do.